April 21, 2017

{Autism Awareness} Ask Me Anything!

Two years ago at this time I was not thinking about Autism Awareness month. To be honest, I'm not even sure if I knew April was Autism Awareness month. At that point, we knew Kase was delayed in his speech, but we still kept telling ourselves that Kyla was a late talker too. It was around this time two years ago that I started noticing his arm flapping was getting more frequent, but autism still wasn't really in my mind. As an elementary school teacher I knew a little bit about autism, but I never could have predicted then that Kase would be diagnosed five months later.

Fast forward to today and obviously I have learned a lot. I am passionate about continuing to learn and, as you all know, am passionate about sharing our story. I am going to a two day autism conference next week and I'm really excited. I will share more about that later!

Today I want to open my blog up to all of you. When talking to people I can sometimes sense that they want to ask questions, but aren't sure how to ask. There is some debate in the autism community on whether April should be autism awareness month or autism acceptance month. In my opinion, it doesn't matter. What matters is that people are talking about it. What matters is that people feel comfortable sharing stories and asking questions. I know it can be a sensitive topic. It took me a few months after Kase was diagnosed to be able to talk about it. But we can't have awareness or acceptance if we all just ignore it.

So with all that being said, what question(s) do you have for me? I would love to answer them! They can be about autism in general, about Kase, or not about autism at all. It sometimes feels like autism consumes our lives, but there's a lot more to our family! :)

Leave a comment here or on my Facebook or Instagram where I will also be posting this. Or if you don't feel comfortable leaving a comment, feel free to email me (amymrsmommy@gmail.com). I will do a blog post next week sometime answering all of your questions.


I hope you all have a great weekend and as always, thank you for following along and being so supportive!

1 comment:

  1. As you know, I love this idea!!! So thank you for sharing!
    My question is... how do you make time for YOU? Obviously you find time to blog, but I know you love to walk on the treadmill as well, and I assume you must like to take some time to yourself to either go to Target alone, get a manicure, or just plain, be alone with no little fingers tapping you and saying "Mommy!". How do you find time to do that? Do you just squeeze it in during any down time? Or make plans for it? I'd love to know because I struggle with that.

    ReplyDelete