June 10, 2012

New Recipes - First up, Pepperoni Calzone

As you all know, I have started meal planning.  Well, this has motivated me to start trying new recipes and expand our dinner options.  I have also mentioned that I like fairly easy recipes with not a ton of expensive ingredients.  I know there are a lot of recipe blogs out there, but I have found one that I am in love with - Life as a Lofthouse (actually my aunt Linda found it for me).  She has a ton of recipes:  appetizers, breads, breakfasts, desserts, salads, sandwiches, and then she has her main courses divided into beef recipes, chicken, etc.  Since we eat a lot of beef and chicken, I have already found so many recipes I want to try.

I decided I'm going to try one new recipe a week.  And as you probably guessed, I plan on sharing them on here.  It's much easier to keep them all in one place and not have to write them down or print them out so they're easy to find when I want to make them again.  Plus maybe some of you will think something sounds good and try it for yourselves!

I will try to take pictures too, but I don't have a fancy camera and my photography skills are horrible so please excuse the poor quality.

This first recipe for the calzone is actually from this blog.  I found it before I found the other blog and thought this would be something Tyler and Kyla would enjoy.  As you'll see, I started with a really easy one :)


What you'll need
1 roll of refrigerated pizza dough
Pizza sauce
Mozzarella cheese
Pepperoni
Grated Parmesan
1 T. Melted Butter

Directions
Heat oven to 425
1.  Roll pizza dough out on a cookie sheet (I sprayed the cookie sheet with cooking spray just to be safe)
2.  Spread pizza sauce out on one half of the dough
3.  Add cheese onto sauce
4.  Add pepperoni and more cheese if desired
5.  Fold the other half of the dough over and seal edges
6.  Bake for 18 minutes.  With about 5 minutes left, brush the melted butter on top and sprinkle with Parmesan




It's hard to tell how big it is, but I cut it into thirds

Mmm, cheesy goodness :)  This is one of the thirds and was too much for me (even while pregnant), but perfect for Tyler.  We had one third left for Kyla and I to have for lunch the next day.

Delicious served with a salad

The verdict?  We all loved it!  Tyler said "Definitely add this to the rotation!"  We're going to have it again in a couple weeks, but I'm going to add mushrooms next time.  You can really put anything in that you want.

Do you want to know something I learned while making this?  I actually enjoy spending time cooking in my kitchen.  I'm excited to continue learning new things!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the new recipe I'm always looking for new & easy recipes too. I'm honna have to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! So excited for you trying new recipes! I just did one yesterday in the crockpot that we had for supper that I am sharing this week. SUPER, super easy and YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy! The calzone r ecipe I have is really complicated so I never make it. I'll have to try this one!

    I have decided I'd like to cook more if I didn't have to do so with hungry crabby crying kids attached to me legs haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome----going to have to try I am always looking for quick recipes!

    ReplyDelete